Wrapping Up the Semester

These last couple of weeks of class went by so fast. Last week after class, I went ice skating in Bryant Park and out to eat at a restaurant called Matisse for French club, and this week I went Christmas shopping. My last day of class was awesome, but certainly sad.

I felt my class this semester really bonded. We were all going through the same application process, as well as dealing with senior year, so we really understood each other. Plus, our professor was really nice and also knew how hard the process could be. It’s extremely important to have proper guidance in the application process for college, and this class (Fashion Portfolio) was really beneficial for understanding what needed to be done and when. It can also be really hard for those people who’s families or teachers don’t know how different applying to art schools can be than applying to liberal arts schools, so it’s good to have someone to talk to who has been through the process or is going through it.

On our last day, we had a little Holiday Party. It was so nice- I brought in sugar cookies, a few girls brought in chips and cookies, and our teacher brought us in delicious donuts. It was really a great way to wind down and de-stress and look back and appreciate all the effort we had put in. We also got more time to talk and get to know each other, and our professor, who told us her niece is a designer for DKNY and designed jeans that were featured in their billboard in Times Square!

We ended class with a presentation of our work and a critique. A lot of it was really amazing, but it’s great to know how to improve and that no matter what, there is room for improvement for everyone. I for one, need to work on the layout of my presentations.

So next Saturday, Christmas Eve, I get to sleep in! However, all of Winter Break I’ll be working on improving my presentation layouts and my portfolios for my back-up schools. Wish me luck!

Also, if you have any questions about my experiences at FIT and their Precollege Programs, applying to art schools, or just need someone to talk to about it, feel free to contact me here or on my tumblr! (I’m working on switching to blogspot currently, but I haven’t gotten around to it.) This also may be helpful to any parents currently reading this who are worried about their kids traveling to the city, as I know very well how my mom felt about it, haha.

Karlie