Expectations and What I’ve Learned So Far

My expectations for Fashion Design Techniques are to learn how to drape and to learn how to place the muslin correctly on the dress form. I have noticed that the class is getting harder. I thought everything was easy until we went to put the muslin on the dress form…Let’s just say things didn’t go so smoothly. It’s really hard to get everything lined up and if it’s not then everything will be wrong after that. My self expectations are to get accepted into FIT and to get all As and Bs – this can be a challenge because I’m in 2 AP classes and I’m not doing to well in physics (Science is always my worst subject; I can’t wait to NOT have to take it senior year.) I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well, but it’s a comfort that your portfolio matters a lot too.

I haven’t really had to change anything about myself coming to FIT. I like how everyone has such different styles but you can all talk about fashion. I love how on the 1st day of class you can scope out everyone’s individual style and see if they have a similar style to you. FIT changed me in the way that I became more open to other’s opinions and styles. FIT made me become a better drawer for sure. I couldn’t even draw before I took Fashion Art for Fashion Designers. If I do say so myself, I’m a good artist now. I can draw the croquis. FIT is so different from my school because everyone dresses kind of outrageously, where at my school the atmosphere is definitely more normal. I like expressing myself at FIT.

I was surprised that I learned to draw really fast and even more surprised that I’m doing very well in draping so far. I could actually help other people when I’m usually the one that needs to be helped. The atmosphere at FIT is friendly, although of course there are those that are not very friendly and don’t have a nice attitude to put it nicely. But that’s ok. I don’t really put attention to those people because I’m here to have fun and learn about the different aspects of the industry. FIT is my favorite part of the week; I get to go to my dream college, shop, learn, and explore the city.

See You Next Week,

Emily