Everyone Needs Inspiration

Can you believe that week one is over already? It went so quick, right?

As promised, here are some photos of the places I mentioned last post:

First day!

My class is great so far! I’m learning so much about typography that I didn’t know before and learning the importance of kerning (the space in between letters) and how it effects the whole look of a typed out word  when kerned properly/improperly. For the first two days we cut out letters that spelled out our name and had to Kern them properly. The next day we had a critique, and I think we all learned how we can improve our work from that! There is always something new to learn about type. Our professor regularly hands out books and magazines. We’re all encouraged to look through them and really pay attention of type.

“Do the words line up? Is there a pattern? What font is this?” are questions I always ask myself when I’m reading because I’m more aware of what goes into making these layouts. Even though we have only been in class for 3 days, what Professor Gray has been teaching us is going to be our foundation for our next project: Choosing a typographer and making a poster inspired by their work with a biography. I chose to do Raoul Hausmann.

Here are some photo’s of Hausmann’s work:

I love these collage pieces. They’re brilliant! Collages are fun yet challenging to make, so  I can’t wait to see how I’m going to incorporate them into a poster design. It’s really going to challenge my design abilities and push my creativity a lot.

One thing everyone should do during Summer Live is go to The Museum at FIT. The current exhibit is all about sports wear through the decades for women and men. No matter what you are studying, you will definitely find inspiration whether it’s a pattern on a shirt, or a color scheme in a collection. Unfortunately, no cameras are allowed in the exhibit, but trust me when I say it’s a must see!

Do you have anything or a certain place that inspires you?

Victoria