My Summer Plans

For some reason, I’ve always been excited for that 6th day of school…and now it’s all over. My final project is completed, and Saturday was the last day of class. With all of the fun and excitement and awesome things to learn at FIT, how will I cope without it this Summer?

The answer is: I simply won’t. Although I can’t take a full Summer Live class, I’m going to be at FIT for their Precollege Workshop, Forecasting Fashion Trends! I can’t wait to come back, and without homework to rush home to, so I can wander around and swatch.

I’ll also be creating 4 finished pieces for AP art next year. I’m trying to base my project around fashion, but I’m not sure what direction to go in. I’ll either be trying watercolor figure drawings or painting draped fabrics.

This Summer I plan on making a full portfolio for all my fashion drawings, but I have a lot to work on. I’ve come so much closer with this last class, but I’m taking the portfolio class in the fall, just to be sure.

I do have a full schedule for next year, my senior, so hopefully I’ll get lots of relaxing done! Although I know my passion is in design, there are still so many other things I love about life, so I try to center it around fashion. When it comes time for reading on the beach, you’ll be sure I’m taking some biographies of the most iconic designers! For stormy nights, it’s best to watch all of the earliest films, because the clothing was so dramatic. Documentaries are also key to a good night at home; Valentino, the Last Empire is my favorite. I’ll also be practicing my sewing skills. I have a full size quilt to work on, and lots of handbags by request of friends.

I’m sure this Summer will whip by fast, so I want to get as much done as possible…but frequent trips to NYC are inevitable.

By the way, remember the junior prom dress I was making? Here it is:

Karlie