Final Thoughts: Learning a lot About Me

I learned so much this semester at FIT. Besides learning about the industry, I also learned a lot about myself. I have a much better idea of what I want to do now.

I had originally planned on going into marketing but I am now thinking or PR, or even fashion merchandising. I like to describe my courses at FIT as me weekly “recharge.” When I come home from FIT, people notice a difference in me; I am happier, more confident, and refreshed. I know that it has a lot to do with the friends I have made. We all have so much in common, and they’re so much fun! I’m so sad that class is ending soon, but my friends and I have promised to have a reunion in the city!

For my final project, we used the skills we learned from our shopping field trips to take pictures of clothing so that we could report on the trends of this season. The tips really helped me a lot. For example, when I went to Zara, I started on the lower level and by the time I was noticed (my auto flash gave me away) and asked to leave, I was in the front of the store and had already taken most of my pictures. I then moved on to H&M (where my camera promptly ran out of battery so I discreetly used my IPhone,) Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, and a couple other stores. Unfortunately, the only time I could go to the mall was for 2 hours on a Tuesday so I couldn’t hit too many stores, but I was still able to snap 300 pictures (the necessary amount was 72- call me an overachiever!) Then I broke them up into specific trends such as crochet, polka dots, colored pants, etc. I tried to stay away from obvious owns such as 70’s wear that I knew everyone would do. One thing I found was that stripes were everywhere! Color was huge too- particularly orange and bright pink as a color combination. The other thing I noticed was a lot of whites! Also, fedoras with printed sashes were in H&M, Zara, Forever 21, and Urban outfitters! After manually copying and pasting every single picture onto my PowerPoint and then cropping each one, I was left with over 100 slides! It was tedious work but I edited down to 37. Some shots of my presentation are below.

I’m sad that this will be one of our last classes, but I look forward to classes in the fall. I‘m sure I will meet many more friends and I hope that we bond as much as I did in this class!

Sarah