Portfolios & Performance Art

Although college is still a ways away from me (being a sophomore and all), I still try to always keep in mind the importance of keeping a portfolio.  Even when I first became interested in art a young age, I carefully saved many of my pieces in a portfolio.  Last semester, I took Costume and Couture rendering, where it became crucial to keep a portfolio.  We made many drawings on delicate velum paper, as well as model forms on very thin tracing paper.  Thus, I found binders with protective sleeves to be the most helpful, especially those with pockets for storing extra tracing paper.

I keep all these drawings together with my FIT supplies where they are safe from bending and light damage.  However, since it’s not quite time for me to develop my full portfolio, I’d like to talk about some great sartorial happenings this week!  First of all, I hope everyone has taken a careful look through this week’s photos of the Met Gala–I mean, a whole ball devoted to McQueen’s breathtaking work, not to mention Marc Jacobs and Robert Duffy in matching kilts!  Also, before the Met Gala, an opportunity was offered to FIT students and other fashion-minded citizens to watch Daphne Guinness dress for the ball in a Barney’s window.  Being a huge fan of hers, I had to go.  Her show was simply amazing–her combination of art, dance, and fashion was profoundly beautiful.  I was lucky enough to sit in the front row and watch every minute of it while sitting with the utterly fabulous Simon Doonan!  Amanda Brooks tweeted this picture of my Daphne/McQueen/Isabella Blow inspired outfit http://twitpic.com/4si6lv.  I was also featured on the Barney’s website in my favorite bunny ears.

And here’s just one of my many photos of Daphne’s spectacular performance.

Have a great week!

xoxo

Ruby