When I Grow Up I Want to Be…

A stylist! Being the next Rachel Zoe is my dream, but I’d rather work with magazines instead of celebrities. FIT has really helped me in learning more of what stylists do and how they do it. Last semester I took HDE 135: Photo-Styling for Magazines and Catalogues and More!, and it taught me so much about what goes on behind the scenes at photoshoots. For example, while the finished picture turns out like this…

This is what it looks like in reality…

Not nearly as fabulous, right? Anyway, besides learning what a photoshoot looks like, I also learned how to edit items to include in a photo and how to make the overall look of the photo cohesive and appealing. I’m hoping to include some of the work that I’ve done in the Precollege programs in my portfolio when I’m applying to college, but if I get in to FIT it will be for Fashion Merchandising, which doesn’t require a portfolio. I’m also looking into FIDM and Drexel because they have a Visual Communications major that I’m really interested in, but as of now, FIT is my first choice.

I really encourage anyone who has started to look at colleges to see if any of the schools they are interested in offer programs like FIT’s Precollege Programs. It really makes you familiar with the school, and while I’m pretty sure FIT is the only school with so many specific and fun programs, it can’t hurt to learn as much as you can about your possible future college. So Google away!

On a side note, I’m going to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art tomorrow! I’ll be sure to take tons of photos if I’m allowed and post them next week. See you then!

Erin