Dreaming Beyond High School

This is what we’re doing in math right now, and I do not get it. I recently asked the teacher when we will need to use this in real life and while he didn’t have an answer, a girl in my class made an excellent point. She said “We’re not. We’re just learning how to learn.” That really struck a chord because that is really all high school is, learning how to learn in college and figuring out what to do with our lives.

To me, it seems as though the entire purpose of high school is just a formality. It’s just something you have to get through before college. People keep telling me to “get good grades so you get into a good school” but then they say “enjoy your high school years; they’re the best times of your life.” Well I certainly hope they’re not the best years of my life because then what do I have to look forward to?   Besides my Theater class, History, Marketing, and English I don’t like most of my classes. I can’t wait until college where I can take classes that I actually enjoy and will prepare me for my journey in the real world.

But isn’t that the purpose of FIT? It provides a break from the boring classes that we have to sit through before we are able to make our own decisions. It helps us explore the possibilities of what we want to do when we grow up before committing to a school. Going to FIT has made me realize that I definitely want to go into fashion, even though I am still unsure of a specific career. I think I want to go into marketing or PR because I know what people like and I have a lot of good ideas, but it might change within the next few years. I’m only a sophomore, so I haven’t really looked at too many colleges, although I really like Northwestern University. I want to have a real college campus, and experience other parts of the world before I come back to live in NYC in my 20s. Also, spending at least a semester abroad is a must for me. I love traveling and soaking up other cultures and I feel like it is so important in this industry to have experienced other places.

Because I’m a dork, I have an ideal life plan. This includes working in the marketing department of a fashion label, and then writing a young adult novel, and then, when I retire becoming an interior designer. I know I have a lot on my to do list; I can’t wait to get out of high school.

Sarah