Managing a Busy Schedule: It’s OK to Say No

Precollege courses are so much fun! But managing assignments, school work, extracurricular activities and friends is tough. Since I take a morning class, I try to get home early when I go out on weekends. I have to be on a train at 7:30 AM so I usually wake up around 6:45 to get ready! During the regular school week, I have a job running birthday parties and programs at a local gym and a blogging internship at a local boutique. I’ve always liked being busy but last semester I took way too much on.

I tried to juggle varsity basketball, play rehearsals, and my internship along with precollege classes. I felt like I never had any time! I decided not to run track this semester to free up my schedule and it has helped me so much. It’s okay to say “no” if you can’t commit or strain yourself trying to do it all. I didn’t learn that until this year. I’ve learned now that I can commit so much more now that I have fewer activities.

That being said, I still need to manage my time. I am a chronic list maker so I always make a to-do list and every month I make a schedule and add to it as the month goes on. I’ve also learned not to leave FIT assignments to the last minute (after staying up till 4AM making a car out of a trifold poster.) My schedule is busy, but I always make sure everything is done and I still have time to hang out with friends!

Sarah