I just got back from the AICI (Association of Image Consultants International) annual conference in Orlando and feel energized and ready to ramp up my image business! The AICI conference always gives me a booster-shot business-wise, as it provides an excellent opportunity to share ideas and techniques with consultants from around the world. After all, some of the best take-aways come not from a book or classroom, but from each other!
That said, I did attend some really phenomenal workshops and will enjoy sharing some of the highlights in the weeks to come. The one that an immediate impact was called “Blogging and Writing Your Way to Expert Status.” It was presented by Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP from Melbourne (www.bespokeimage.com.au) . She’s one of the most successful Image Consultants in Australia – not to mention lovely person and so incredibly generous with her information…something I really appreciate as an image educator!
Here are some of Imogen’s suggestions for articles or blog posts (as well as some of my own):
- Current events (the Royal Wedding was a blogger’s dream!)
- Client questions (is it appropriate to wear sleeveless tops to the office, white after Labor Day, etc.)
- Movies (Bill Cunningham New York, the YSL movie)
- Inspiration from museum exhibits (isn’t the FIT museum just fab-u-lous for that?)
- Seasonal challenges (how to look great when the temperature heats up)
- Celebrity style (who wore it best, how to achieve the look, etc.)
- Your favorite picks (5 favorite shopping web sites, tote bags, makeup items etc.)
- Comments on a famous fashion quote (“Fashions fade, style is eternal.” – YSL)
- Topics covered in image or style books (how to dress slimmer, on a budget, for an interview, etc.)
- Something you’ve learned about in one of your FIT classes
I was grateful for all of the suggestions because, let’s face it… sometimes the well runs dry!
Do you have other suggestions? If so, please share! After all, isn’t that what writing in a public forum is all about?!
BTW, next year’s AICI Conference is May 17-20, 2012 in Hawaii. Talk about a marriage of business and pleasure!