D-Day approaches

April 3, 2014 | By | Reply More

April 9th…. Our dreaded deadline date is approaching us faster than ever. This is our last full weekend to drape, sew, applique, bead, etc. We’re all pretty much in a zombie state at this point since many of us have liberal arts classes to take in addition to our internships. I know it’s going to be a rough couple of days until we make it to that deadline date but afterward we’re all looking forward to getting a little rest because Spring break is also approaching and the weather is finally looking up for a change! For the first time in weeks I was able to wear a jacket instead of a huge parka when running my errands to the garment district (trust me it makes a difference; if you’ve ever walked around the city on 7th ave. you’d know what I’m talking about…).

In other news, as far as my progression on my looks for my senior thesis collection I finally feel like I’m at a good point on my second look. After days of searching for the perfect trims for my second look I was finally able to come to an agreement with my professor as to how to finish my baby doll’s skirt. Although these were a couple of frustrating days, I can look back and appreciate the hardships because I know once I get into the industry I won’t always have it my way and I will have to make compromises without sacrificing the integrity of my garments. I had to push myself and come up with solutions as to how to stay true to my design and still please my professor. In the end I’m still happy with my design and I finally got her on board with it.

As far as my first look is concerned I’m still in the process of putting the finishing touches on, mainly the applique of 8 yards of French Chantilly lace onto silk chiffon and adding Swarovski crystals to my cups and straps of my bodysuit.

I can’t believe it’s all finally coming together, Graduation is quickly approaching and I know these next couple of weeks are going to begin to fly by even faster. It’s scary to realize how close we all are to finishing school, we’ve already ordered cap and gowns and we’re well on our way to being one step closer to our careers. As the next couple of weeks pass by I’m going to try to savor my final days as a student as much as possible. OK – END of emotional sob story. In all seriousness I just want to wish all the BFA students luck on their garments! I’m sure we’re all going to put on a great show for the judges.

P.S. Here are some more progress photos, Enjoy!!

The Process of deciding on trims and Straps….Felt like a never Ending Processphoto (1)

photo

photo (2)

photo23

Final Trim I ended up finding and Dyeing for my Garment
photo (4)Sneak Peak of how it’s going to be used <3

photoHere’s a quick update on my First Ensemble Skirt — Still Hand sewing….

XoXo Cristina

Tags: