Fittings and inspirations

March 20, 2014 | By | 1 Reply More

I wanted to share with you some of the inspirations and the progress on my looks for the fashion show.

I like to mix different types of fabrics together as well as draw inspiration from alternative fashion. Childrenswear draws from different inspirations including from womenswear. We sometimes take inspiration from womenswear and change it to suit a child. The alternative fashion that I was inspired by was steampunk, for example this type of look:

A steampunk look

A steampunk look

The dress I am designing has a mixture of a lavendar moire jacquard fabric and neoprene. The skirt has a ruffled fabric manipulation on it and I used a project from fourth semester as an idea of what this skirt would look like. The project was for the fluting project where we made a top – the back had the fluting and I covered the front with ruffles made from bias strips. I really liked the fullness of the ruffles and decided to use a version of that technique to put on the skirt.

A project I made with ruffles and fluting all over it.

I made a test sample for the ruffles to see what I might do for the final prototype. I decided I liked the random pattern more than the stripes so the skirt will be covered with it.

A test sample with striped ruffles and a random pattern.

When we make ruffles, we frequently make it out of bias strips, which is fabric cut diagonal to the grain. This can be a very time consuming process of making sure the fabric is laying flat, measuring and cutting. After the bias strips are cut, I sewed a wide stitch along the center of the strip and that is gathered to make the ruffle. This process is a long manual process that will haunt my dreams for a few weeks but I think it will be worth it!

Cutting bias strips

Cutting bias strips

The first piles of bias strips waiting to be turned into ruffles

MODEL FITTINGS

Picture 2

We also had our first model fittings this week! It was very exciting to see our garments on actual humans. Up until now, we have only ever worked on dress forms. The little girls were so cute and we had so much fun working with them. One interesting thing was that even though there were two girls that were size 5, they both fit our clothes differently and we switched the garments a few times from one girl to the other to see what it looked like. For the fashion show, we are not definitely using these models but it was still very interesting to participate in the fitting. Our critic, Lisa was also at our fitting to help us! It can be quite tiring to do fittings for nearly three hours but Lisa and our professor helped each one of us. Take a look at how we did!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. GearĂ³id says:

wow, they are really coming along nicely. keep up the good work!