Working away

March 9, 2014 | By | 1 Reply More

We are working away on our garments – basting them in the final fabrics for the first fitting on our fit models next week. Instead of sewing the garments entirely, we are only basting them for the fit. Basting is when we sew the fabric with wide stitches so that we can easily pull the threads out. If the fit is good, we can just sew it on the basting stitch.

Here are some images of my classmates and I working hard to get our garments ready

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

There are a lot of steps included in making garments and each step takes so much longer than we ever imagine. There is a never ending amount of things to measure, cut, trace, sew, overlock, pin, press, gather… and the list goes on. When we also have to remember to eat, wash, intern and do other homework, the only way I work efficiently is to make many lists. It really helps!

Some of my many to do lists. The picture on the bottom of the page is a lovely scene for me to look at when the list looks unmanageable.

Some of the homework includes Chinese homework. We are required to take two semesters of a language and I took Chinese because I am Chinese but don’t speak Mandarin. I thought it might be helpful to learn Mandarin for fashion because so much production takes place in China.

Chinese homework

Chinese homework

Lastly, I will end this post with something fun I do in school. (Not that school isn’t almost always pretty fun!) One of my friends started the hula hoop club at FIT last semester and I just found out about it. It is so great to be able to do this during breaks between classes!

Action shot of the hula hoop club

Action shot of the hula hoop club

Tags: , ,