Floppsy Moppsy

March 31, 2010 | By | Reply More

Yes, this week is the elusive “spring Break”.  In a fashion design students world, that really means nothing, but extra time to work on your projects.  This break I was called away by family to my home land.  OH NO!!!  That is like taking a week and two weekends out of the alloted time for this senior thesis.  Time being as precious as it is, my garments have come with me in small travel size pieces.  There is pialletting and hand sewing galore going on among the beautiful rocky mountains.

Before the departure to the wilderness,  I managed to get a great deal done on dress# 3 skirt.  The affectionate “mop”!  This process is similar to the texture on dress#2.  However it is made by layers of organza and tulle pleated into 6″ long pieces.  Attached to a light layer of tulle and stabilized on paper via pin.  Then stitched down, paper torn away and voile instant skirt.

Iron organza strips

Iron organza strips

Organza after pleating

Organza after pleating

Strips of organza ready to be pleated

Strips of organza ready to be pleated

Laying out the layers of texture and pinning them to the tulle/paper

Filling in the gabs, trying to make the layers blend and be more organic

Filling in the gaps, trying to make the layers blend and be more organic

Okay well I made that sound a lot easier then it really was.  There are 4 yards of each color of organza and tulle in the skirt.  Taking a step back at the product I decided that more tulle needs to be added to give the skirt a more “airy” lighter look. Lesson #4, panic has set in and if staying to work was possible, utilize the time.

The clock is ticking and we are late for a very important date!

Front View

Front View

Back View

Back View

Tags: