Am I Really Here? In Florence, Italy?FIT in Florence

FIT in Florence

Am I Really Here? In Florence, Italy?

| 0 comments

Ciao a tutti! I hope life is treating you all very well!

These past two months have gone by pretty quick. I remember running to the Garment District a few hours before my flight to pick up black style tape (heads up FD majors, this is not easy to find in Florence), checking in my luggage with Air Berlin, saying my goodbyes to my Mom, a layover in Dusseldorf, and finally landing in Florence, making my way to the 1950’s American Diner, for a burger and fries of course! Adjusting, culture shock, schoolwork and now, midterms, it hasn’t been so easy living over here, but, every single day it gets better and I try to remain as positive and stress-free as possible – it makes a huge difference.

Sometimes I find myself looking up at the sky or just looking around me saying “Am I really here? Is this real?” Yes Miyah! It is very real and for students coming here for the Spring semester or in the near future, you will have these moments too and then realize it is very real!

Below, three times/moments I had and thought “Am I really here? In Florence?”

1)    “Hours Before Italia” film

I enjoy telling stories, so, I made this mini film, to document the hours before I left for Florence to when I arrived and had a little glimpse of what my environment will look like for the next 8/9 months. I watch this film maybe once a week just to remind myself where I am and how amazing this journey already is and how amazing it will be. Click the link below to check out the mini film!

HOURS BEFORE ITALIA FILM

2)    Stepping foot on Villa Favard

The first time I walked on the Polimoda campus I couldn’t stop smiling. I couldn’t believe what my eyes were seeing. I think in another life I’m an interior designer, because I LIVE for the interior designs and architecture that Polimoda has. I’ve never a school so exquisite and elegant but in a very organic and discrete way. When I seen the FIT Welcome to Orientation sign as I walked in, I felt right at home.

3) Meeting Polimoda Students

Polimoda students didn’t start their semester until the beginning of October, so it was just us (FIT students and staff) on campus for a couple weeks. Once Polimoda students arrived, the cafes opened, Scandicci Design Lab extended its work hours (YAY FOR FD STUDENTS) and of course, opportunities to meet new friends! New York City is a very diverse place, but in Florence I feel a different level of diversity.

Being on the other side of the world, engaging with many students from different countries, ethnicities, cultures etc from this side of the world is very cool to me. It’s so interesting entering this world where I can connect with others that are very interested and passionate about the fashion industry.

That’s all for now! I hope you all enjoyed my post of the day! More blog post are on the way in the upcoming weeks! Stay tuned!

Ciao e Grazie!

Best wishes,

Miyah from FD1