July 3 — The newly-named “Fiesta Sweater” is done! Just in time to celebrate the holiday, though far too warm to wear right now. Only one really bad mishap along the way (what the Knitmores might call a “when knitting attacks!” moment, or what Abby and Ben at Knit Knit Cafe might dub a “bitter cup”). Clearly I need much more practice in picking up stitches. My lack of mad skillz in this area didn’t matter so much for the sleeves, when I not only did NOT pick up the requisite number of stitches around the armhole, I didn’t even get the same number of stitches on each sleeve! Did this faze yours truly? No, I wasn’t planning to do decreases along the length of the sleeves anyway, so I calculated the number of stitches I would need for the lacy scalloped edge (13 stitches x 8 repeats), kept the sleeve that had closest to that number, started the other sleeeve over, and sneaked in a couple of extra stitches to add up to the required number on each. After that it was, as they say, a piece o’ cake! Many thanks to my knitting buddy, the estimable Lidlady, for the tip about figuring out what I’d need at the end and working backwards.
But wait — my tale of woe and my gratitude to Lidlady do not end there. Somewhere during the body knitting I had tried on the sweater to test length, and the neckhole was perfectly fine. However, my decided lack of aforementioned skill hit with a vengeance at the end. I did the neckline pickups, finished the edging, and confidently slipped the sweater on over my head… only to have it stay there. AAARGH! My lovely sweater was now a hat. Thankfully, Lidlady was kind enough to do the picking up for me. So now I have a finished sweater, all that awaits is blocking.