Conservation Assistant- The Costume Institute
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to employoppty at metmuseum.org with the position title in the subject line.
The Conservation Assistant (CA) will assist with the care and preservation of the Costume Institute Collection. Additionally, the CA contributes to the preparation, maintenance, and deinstallation of Costume Institute exhibits and loans. Additional duties include ordering supplies and maintaining lab equipment. This position is full-time with an end date of June 30, 2014.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
* Assist in preparing condition reports for incoming/outgoing loans and acquisitions
* Assist in ordering conservation supplies and maintaining the Conservation Lab and its equipment
* Construction of mounts for re-housing of artifacts in conjunction with the Capital Project
* Assist in conservation treatments for CI objects
* Assist with installation and maintenance duties for special exhibitions and loans
* Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience with treatment of historic costumes/textiles
* Sewing experience as well as good hand skills
* Ability to document treatments and carry out condition reports and treatment proposals
* Photography skills
Knowledge and Education:
* Master’s degree in Textile Conservation, Museum Studies, or related field
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.