It’s that time of year again where your hard-earned money is blown on Starbucks and getting a solid 8 hours of sleep is a distant memory. Trust me, I’ve been there — in fact, I am there now. With never-ending midterms and finals/final projects right around the corner, it is easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated. Although it’s crunch time and it’s important to finish the semester strong, it’s important to keep your sanity too! Take a breather and de-stress with these tips and tricks:
- Music: Take a break during common hour at one of FI T’s student lounges, close your eyes and pop your earphones in. Music has the powerful ability to transport the mind and relax the soul. Whether some soulful Sam Smith or Amy Winehouse to get your foot tapping, music is an effective getaway during a busy school day.
- Exercise: Take advantage of the gyms at FIT to release feel-good endorphins into your bloodstream. Not only will you tone up your body but you will feel a major pick-me-up in your mood and spirit. Exercising is a great way to blow off some steam and release the tension built up from stress.
- Powernap: A solid 20-30-minute nap is all you need to reboot and continue the rest of the day strong. Try not to sleep longer than 30 minutes or layer on the blankets; excess warmth can make you oversleep. Set an alarm clock so your refreshing 20-30-minute nap doesn’t go too long and endanger your sleep that evening. Also, drink a cup of coffee before your nap. It takes about 35 min for caffeine to influence you; therefore, you’ll wake at the right time and feel refreshed.
- Pastimes: Your favorite leisurely activities will ease your mind during this stressful time. Lose yourself reading an interesting fiction novel, shop calming aromatherapy products or watch a rom-com on Netflix. Do something you enjoy to balance out all of the hard work you have put forth this semester. In other words, treat yo’ self.
- Organize: Whether 10 minutes or a full day of planning, it is important to prioritize assignments/projects to execute them in a timely fashion. It’s okay to plan more than you work – that way, you can bang out assignments left and right and get the ball rolling. Take as much time as you need to prepare, because not only will it keep your work in order, but most definitely your mind.
Always remember to take a breather during difficult times, because it’s important to put yourself first.
I hope these tips and tricks help!