Going from Nagler Hall to Kaufman, I was clueless as to where to grocery shop, where the cheapest food was, the healthiest food, the closest location, etc etc. I was so used to my meal plan and occasionally going to Fairway for a few snacks and breakfast bars. Now that I’m a full fledged dorm with a kitchen and without a meal plan, I quickly learned the dynamic and food demographics of each of the lovely grocery stores around the area.
- Trader Joes – my personal favorite. Your one stop shop for all things healthy, organic, and reasonably priced. They have a phenomenal produce section. While they don’t have the name brand snacks and goodies but they have their private label brand that is just as good if not better. A slight hike from Kaufman but a nice stroll from 27th located at 675 Avenue of the Americas between 22nd and 21st. MUST TRY: Way More Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Whole Foods – aka Whole Paycheck. If you want the healthy, high end, organic food, make your way over to Whole Foods on 250 7th Ave between 24th and 25th. MUST TRY: Whole Foods Peanut Butter
- Fairway – the holy grail of amazing prices and your one stop shop for name brand with a side of healthy. Stray away from their produce however (speaking from personal experience). Their organic section is phenomenal and if you are a lover of protein and nutrition bars, Fairway is the place for you. Located at 766 Avenue of the Americas between 26th and 25th. MUST TRY: Anything Annie’s Organic
- Gristedes – all the food, all the brands! You can find all your typical, savory indulgences at Gristedes. The prices are a little steep so head to Fairway before you head to Gristedes. It is the most convenient out of all the other shops on the list located at 307 W 26th and 8th ave. IMPORTANT: THEY HAVE PILLSBURY HOLIDAY SUGAR COOKIES IN STOCK.
- Ideal Market – convenient for the Kaufman folks, but the selection isn’t all that great. If you are in desperate need of eggs or craving some cookies and don’t want to trek out to 6th ave, Ideal Market is there for you in times of need. There is an FIT discount, but it is very slight. MUST TRY: They have an amazing bakery section.