Anything you say or do may be used against you in a court of law.
If questioned twice, I will deny this post ever existed (something along the lines of identity theft). Bearing that in mind I will proceed to share my secrets with you (hahaha).
Ciao incoming students,
As you plan out your first semester (and swear you are about to die, so stressed out) there are some things that have come in handy through the years when it comes to registering and choosing classes.
- You will be assigned a faculty adviser according to your last name, you can and you should email this person as soon as you receive the email. Later on, you will find out that you like a certain teacher better and you can request to change :). I got snowed in during my first week, so I had to assign myself my own adviser which turned out to be wonderful, because I chose someone who fit (no pun intended, well maybe a bit) me.
- Search for your curriculum at the FIT website. Home –> Academics–> Undergraduate Programs–> Fashion Merchandising Management–> Curriculum. This will help you have an idea of what the next two years of your life will look like. Minimum credits for a full-time student: 12, max credits per semester: 21.
- Who doesn’t like ending the semester as early as possible to enjoy Xmas back with the family or just to explore NYC better (you nodding your head, pay attention NOW, will not regret)? As much as I love FIT, I am a metal to a magnet, I can feel the stronger pull to return back home early (long distance relationship, love of my life, target acquired) so I plan things to end early December. How? Well, (refer to the top quote haha) you look up the semester calendar. Look at what day is the last day, this fall the classes to end up the latest are Friday (sometimes can be Monday) classes, which means I plan my whole semester around NOT taking Friday classes (perks: long weekends, every weekend).
- Log in to MyFIT before your assigned date and time and look up at courses (use class search), days, time slots, availability and professor if noted (ratemyprofessor them). Create two mock schedules by u in excel and write down the CRN (course reference number, duh right 😛), this will make registering a one minute deal. You will log in, click on student tab, under online resources click Registration, choose semester, copy paste your CRN’s and done.
- Check out what your major has to offer, I know International Trade & Marketing offers advisement tracks, where they suggest what courses you should take, depending on what your dream job is. Don’t be afraid to click around the website, or Google what you want to do after graduation (I know it seems far out and away, but better not let it take you by surprise).
- Make an appointment with our (well now yours too, CONGRATS) Academic Advisement Center, they are happy to meet with you in person, online, or via telephone (convenient, yes!). They want to make your “academic experience as smooth and rewarding as possible” if that is not enough for you, at their front desk there is always free candy (no questions or comments just ransack the bowl haha).
Welcome to the beginning of an amazing chapter in your life! You will not regret this decision, so many doors will be opened for you that you will look back in hindsight and laugh at yourself ever even considering other options. Below, a peek into your great future: