Now being a 7th semester college student, I’ve had my fair share of classes and professors across several departments. This semester, I am enrolled in a social science class called Sex Roles, Marriage, and Family taught by Professor Rosen. This was a class that I had wanted to take since I started here at FIT, but it typically fills up incredibly quickly at the time of registering for classes. This semester, I was fortunate enough to get one of the coveted slots in class and I have not been disappointed. Not only do we discuss the typical curriculum of the class, but we also relate what we learn to current events, pop culture, and how it pertains to our own personal lives. The conversations that we have in class are usually very eye opening and has helped me realize how different and unique everyone’s opinion can be. Professor Rosen is incredibly encouraging, supportive, and friendly throughout her teaching and has always provided us with interesting and helpful resources and assignments. I highly recommend taking this course if it fulfills your graduation requirement and having Professor Rosen as your educator!
We all wondered if roommate horror stories are true, and the reality is, they can be! Here are a few tips to get all of you prospective students prepared for selecting a roommate…
1. New/entering students are able to choose from our three residence halls on 27th street: Alumni, Coed, and Nagler. Research the halls, and figure out which one best fits your preferences.
2. Selecting roommate(s) increases the chances of choosing your preferred accommodation. It is to your advantage to have the roommate with the earliest selection date/time choose a room type. So don’t be afraid to reach out on Facebook after you are confirmed for housing!
3. Once a room type is selected, all mutually selected roommates will automatically be assigned. Students eligible for room selection can use Advanced Roommate Search to find other students seeking roommates. Use of this feature is strongly encouraged as there is an advantage to selecting roommate(s). If you do not choose a roommate, one will randomly be assigned.
4. Be sure to completely fill out your MyHousing assessment that will gather information about your living preferences to help find a right match for you.
5. Don’t be afraid to get social – we all have have had to get used to new surroundings, don’t let your shyness get in the way of making connection with people during your roommate search!
FIT’s Barnes & Noble bookstore hosted a book signing and Q&A with drag personality Willam Belli, for her new book Suckless. As a admirer of the drag community, I thought the event was very inspiring and really eye-opening into the world of drag.
“It’s about you and how you can SUCK LESS at a variety of things drag queens are so much better at than the average person”. – Willam Belli.
I’m already half way into the life guide, and yes it’s making me suck less. Being kicked off of a beloved reality show for breaking the rules isn’t a typical path to comedy stardom, but getting the boot from RuPaul’s Drag Race seems to have done just that for Los Angeles comedy queen Willam Belli. Since running afoul of mother RuPaul, Willam has racked up millions of views for his over-the-top (and surprisingly well-sung) music-video parodies, and he’s landed endorsement deals with American Apparel and Sephora. He’s also brought his singularly shameless comedy show to stages around the world.
Never give up, because doors open when you least expect them too.
If you know me, you know that I love Lady Gaga… On October 21st, the world was given a gift, greater than the invention of sliced bread, Joanne. Lady Gaga is the last person you’d want to go down the pared-down, real-me, let’s-get-a-bit-country. After all, the abstract is where Lady Gaga’s from.
She is one of my biggest inspirations, and I’m so thankful for her artistry that never fails to heal and bring the world together.
With big songs and big production, Joanne certainly sounds like the business. Yet while its modernity is expressed by mixing and matching genres or adding digital zing to familiar tropes, for all its bravura exuberance and pop slickness it is old fashioned to its core.When you go to extremes of image, decking yourself out in meat dresses and lobster hats, perhaps the boldest makeover left is to actually take off the mask and appear as yourself. Lady Gaga, it turns out, is an old-fashioned rock and roll showgirl at heart.
So get out there, put on your pink “Joanne” hats on, and get to listening to Gaga’s new album!