This is for all the international students, who are freaking out, because they don’t know what to do next! When I first got accepted to FIT, it was such a stressful process, because since I was an international student it meant I had so many extra steps to take into consideration. It made me so nervous. I was so scared of misunderstanding something, that I would call the school 3 times a day (I had a lovely phone bill at the end of the month). Here are a few helpful steps to make it easier for you, when you have to go through that process:
- Pay your tuition deposit You want to make sure you secure your spot!
- Start your visa application Once you got accepted you will have to fill out the ISFS (International Student Financial Statement) and send it to the school. They will then send you a confirmation with your I-20, which will then allow you to apply for an F-1 visa at the US consulate in your country.
- Get all the vaccines required That was a really long and tough process, because they wouldn’t accept my translation of the vaccines, they needed my doctor to translate everything in english and then sign it (he didn’t speak english).
- Book your flight ticket Once my visa was accepted, I bought my flight ticket straight away. It’s cheaper to buy your plan ticket earlier, so I didn’t waist a second, since I knew I was going to that school.
- Decide where to live Do you want to have your own apartment or dorm? I would dorm, if it’s your very first time in New York. It helps you settle down with less stress and you have time to get used to the city. If you are considering dorming don’t wait to apply, because the spots get taken really quickly.