What FIT taught me for my first job

Hey Everyone,

So as we approach the end of the semester with just about a month left , I started to think about what I have learned throughout college that I have actually used in my actual everyday job.

6358038354880147971262744366_Work%20Life%20Balance

The first and most important thing I learned was to be humble. When you are fresh out of college or even starting a new job some people tend to jump right in and act like they know everything when in reality they know nothing yet. It is not a bad thing to admit you don’t know much that’s what life is all about. FIT has always encouraged me to ask questions and learn, take in as much as you can, and if it is your first day don’t act like it is your 500th day. Being humble is also realizing you need start somewhere , that can be as an intern, a secretary, whatever it may be but one day you will work your way up the ladder, I promise!

Next, don’t take criticism to heart. For every Art and Design student you know what I am talking about. There will be people who love your work ethic or work while others do not. If they don’t work harder and do your best. Don’t dwell on one person giving you a hard criticism.

• Network, regardless if you think your doing it now you are. Making connections with your peers and professors is a great way to start!
  • Communication, emails and daily contact around the office are apart of everyday life. You email your friends, teachers, bosses. But please remember not to email your coworkers or bosses like you do with your friends or call your boss girl or dude ( unless that’s the kind of place it is) everything varies but FIT taught you to know the differences in settings!

Lastly, Time management sometimes you will be given a task at your job to work alone on. Projects and deadlines have prepared you for this! The task may be given a certain amount of time to be done in. Say its the 1st of the month and its due the last day of the month. Do not sit at your desk and wait till the second to last day to complete it , finish it at a good pace. Don’t go to fast and miss things but do get it done as soon as possible and ask for more work. In college we do learn time management but sometimes we slack and wait till right before its due.

FIT has taught me a lot and has made me think in a different way then some of my other colleagues, a more creative way at times.  But it doesn’t mean I still cant learn more everyday from someone new or with more experience.

What has FIT taught you that you apply in your work place?

Xoxo

Kailee