College Hacks!

While I was away from the blog this summer, a thoughtful blog reader sent a package to the Admissions Office addressed to me. I wasn’t able to pick up the package until a few weeks ago and I was very excited to see what was inside!

I was mostly surprised to hear that a package was addressed to…me! And that it was sent from a mysterious reader of the FIT Admissions Blog! The gift inside was a book called “College Hacks: Any procedures or actions that solve a problem, simplify a task, reduce frustration, and make college totally awesome” by Keith Bradford. What a perfect book! I’m in college, I love useful tips and tricks…it’s like this person knew me so well 😉

College Hacks by Keith Bradford
College Hacks by Keith Bradford

It was an extremely thoughtful gesture, and something I never expected to happen while being a blogger. I shared the book with my fellow bloggers and we hope to all pick up some new “hacks” from the wealth of information filled inside. If you are the person who sent this book, or happen to know who did, please comment below! I would love to give a personal thanks and put a name to this mysterious gifter 🙂 If you prefer to stay anonymous, please know that I love the book and will definitely be putting these tips to use!

Whether you’re in high school, entering college, or in college, many of these tricks could be applied to your life. I thought I would share a few of my favorite tips listed in the book. Remember, all “hacks” were thought up by author Keith Bradford. Enjoy!!

1. Can’t afford Microsoft word? Get OpenOffice. It’s the same thing except it’s free and has a lot more features.
  2. Writing down your worries before taking an exam has been proven to actually boost your test scores.
  3. Late for class and need to tell your professor a believable lie? Include an embarrassing detail about yourself. Nobody will doubt a story that makes you look dumb.
  4. Study your notes within one day of taking them. Retention rates are 60% higher then.
  5. Dorm room a little stinky? Put dry tea bags around your room. They will absorb the unpleasant odor.

I could go on and on – this book is great! I hope these help! 🙂