Last First Day

Hello readers!!

It is so great to be back writing for the FIT Admissions Blog after a wonderful summer. What did I do you ask? Worked, worked, vacationed, and worked some more! And I enjoyed every second of it.

How was your summer? Did anyone make a trip to FIT? Take classes? Vacation somewhere cool?

Throughout the summer, at various family events, I would be asked, “So, you’re entering your senior year, huh?”

To which I smiled and reply, “Yeahhh, I can’t believe it’s finally here, but I’m ready.”

(But seriously, wasn’t it just yesterday that I was a freshman moving into Coed dorm?!?! Where does time go??)

There was no sarcasm, no lying behind a smile. I am ready for my senior year, and excited as ever. And I credit FIT for that. Each year as a returning student, you feel more and more prepared for what’s yet to come. What else FIT’s courses, professors and classmates have to offer you; what other adventures New York City has in store. You look back on the experiences and knowledge you’ve gained the year before and apply it to the road ahead.

Of course a small part of me is nervous of what’s to come 9 months from now, after I walk across the stage at graduation. But I choose to be excited rather than nervous. At this point, that’s all I can do. I’m not going to waste my energy fearing the “real world.” With the connections I’ve made while at FIT, I am confident I will be well equipped when entering the work force. For now, I will work hard, have fun, enjoy my senior year and the rest will fall into place.

So, as I walked back onto 27th street on my last first day of school, I was overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia and familiarity. I felt back at home. I know this block, I know this campus. I know which water fountain’s the coldest, which classroom has the best view. Which corner I like to sit in and read my book in between classes, which computer lab is usually busiest. I was back in my flow.

I was shocked at how many new faces there were, now that I’m the “big man on campus” aka a Senior. The freshman look so young! Did I look that nervous on my first day? (The answer is yes)

In the sea of fresh-faced freshman, I found my fellow senior friends. We hugged, laughed, caught up on each other’s lives. I could see the comfort and sense of “home” in their eyes that only comes with time at FIT. First days aren’t as scary when you know your way around, and you’ve got friends by your side. We’ve made it three years together at this school and we’ll make it through this last year. Nothing can stop us now!

Get ready for a great year readers and fellow students! Please comment any questions or requests on blog posts you’d like me to look into!

xx,

Brendan

One reply on “Last First Day”

1. Hi,

How exciting for you!! Enjoy the entire senior experience ahead. I hope to also as a high school senior! For my summer I took a portfolio class at FIT, and it was GREAT. Hope to chat more later…
    Emily Victorson