Academic Advisement Help

As a freshman, I was completely overwhelmed with the proper classes that I needed to take.  I thought that everything had to be done in a certain order, no exceptions.  I didn’t think that I had many options to choose from and on the other hand, I wondered what my options were.  If you are an incoming freshman or new student and you have no idea what classes you are supposed to take, reach out to academic advisement.  Your academic advisor is somewhat the equivalent of your high school guidance counselor.  They’re there to help you with your academic lineup for your time here at FIT.  You should be receiving the contact info of your academic advisor, and I highly recommend reaching out to them regarding all of your class-related needs.  While you may think that you just have to take 6 credits of English (hypothetical), that doesn’t mean that you can take any 3 2-credit classes.  There are certain courses that aren’t allowed to be taken by certain majors/don’t count towards graduation for certain majors, so why waste your time and money by taking a class that doesn’t count towards graduation?  Here are some sample questions that you should ask your Academic Advisor:

• If my high school AP scores transfer over, should I still register for those classes?
  • What courses can I get ahead on?
  • What courses do you recommend for a new student’s workload?
  • What options do I have when it comes to my liberal arts and what classes don’t count towards graduation?
  • What are some of the minors and how do I declare a minor?
  • What are some of the classes that I should be taking during the spring incase a certain class/section fills up?
  • Should I only be concerned about my associates graduation requirements or my bachelors as well?
  • Is there a way that I can graduate early?

You can find out more information about Academic Advisement at https://www.fitnyc.edu/22232.asp

Your academic advisor is here to help you!

Ashley