Apartment Update

So I have officially been living in my new apartment for about a month and a half and I’m in love.  I was skeptical at first and I was nervous about coming back to New York after being home for a week but I’ve fallen back into the swing of things and all is well.  I have some advice as far as apartment planning and the things I did right and the things I did wrong.

1. You don’t have to buy all your furniture at once.  When you are making that trek out to IKEA for the first time to get all of your furniture, get the essentials such as a bed and a place to put things like clothes and a TV.  You don’t need a couch and a table and chairs right away.  If you wait a little while, you’ll have more money in your pocket and it’ll be less of a financial burden.
  2. Buy toilet paper and paper towel in bulk.  No one wants to make a special trip to buy several rolls of toilet paper or paper towel, so see if your parents or someone that is helping you move can bring a good ol trusty pack from Costco or Target.
  3. Why didn’t I buy a vacuum?!  I am in desperate need of one, especially being on hardwood floors.  You don’t think you need it, but you do.  Dust galore.
  4. A good roommate will make or break your apartment experience.  I am thankful enough to live with one of my best friends and I couldn’t be happier.  We already know how each other live and we don’t have to tiptoe around each other to try to live normally.  We are like minded in our organizational habits and our lifestyles.  A good roommate truly makes all the difference.
  5. Ask questions ahead of time.  How do you pay for rent each month?  If there is an issue with the apartment do I call the super or outside maintenance and how much will it cost?  When will the rent checks be cashed each month?  How will I know if you received my payment?

Hope this helps you on your apartment adventures!
Ashley