Notes From the 6 Train: FIT Always Surprises

Here at FIT, you never know who you may meet. At the end of last semester I had the pleasure of being invited to speak with President Joyce F. Brown & Speaker Mark-Viverto. She’s the Speaker of the New York City Council (the top post) and represents District 8 in Manhattan. I also happen to live in District 8, which is why I was chosen to meet her. Christopher Wallace (FIT Student Association president) & Orlin,another student who also lives in District 8.

imgres

We got to ride the fancy elevator (well, at least without getting yelled at by security), go to the top of the building and have orange tea and snacks in President Joyce Brown’s office. Also, President Brown was quite friendly and easy going, as was Speaker Mark-Viverto. After we told her about FIT and what we do here, we escorted her on a school wide tour. I must admit, it was quite cool to be a witness to the inner workings of the school — and government.

The Speaker was quite impressed with FIT. She thought the campus and the majors (toy design & fragrance/ cosmetics, which she didn’t know were majors) were very (NEED AN ADJECTIVE HERE)

I visited parts of the school that I did not even know existed.
– the cosmetics and fragrance lab

CF_Home_0746

– the advertisement & marketing communications department film studio and blue screen

– toy design lab

70xzoztgurczjjcm

I also got a special curated tour of the newest exhibit in the FIT museum at the time, Fakin It’, about the fashion industry and knockoffs and the huge impacts they have on the fashion industry as well as how/ where these knockoffs come from.

faking-it-2.0

This was an exciting experience that I’m glad I got to be part of. Like I said, FIT is full surprises.

All Things Color, Love & Fashion,
Ayanna Laen