What every incoming student should know

Hey everyone,

imagesCA34UBGG

It’s a very exciting time in the college and highschool world. For already college students finals are just around the cornor and for highschool students you are all getting acceptance letters and figuring out which will be the best choice. But FIT isnt like most colleges and obviously why you want to be here, with us! So well getting preapred for your new journy to college theres a few things you should know.

1. TEXTBOOKS

Dont ever buy your texts books ahead of time! I know being in college for the first time is very exciting and you want everything new because thats exactly what i did but you are going to waste a lot of money on them when you might not need them. Trust me a few months into college your going to wish you had that money back. But if you do in fact need to buy them make sure you check amazon, chegg, and even the library at school first. You can either find them cheaper, rent them or just copy the pages in the library on the copy machine that you need for each class, it may take a little extra time but you will save yourself some money.

2. Don’t be scared to speak up

No one ever likes being the bad student in class but sometimes you are and can’t help it. remember the teachers are there to help you succeed and they don’t want you to fail. Ask for help, go to extra classes if they let you or take time to go to their office hours, every second you really try helps and it will only make you get better from there. I know for me i’m always scared to admit that i am not doing so well, but being scared is really what holds you back in the end.

3. Internships, Internships, Internships!

As an incoming student the last thing on your mind is getting a job, you barely know about your major yet, but i promise they will help. It will give you a hands on experience and will also help you with your work in the classroom. Espically if you don’t understand something the person you work for may be able to help you with your work. I waited till my 3rd semester before i received an internship and i learned more in those few months working then I ever thought i could. Hands on experiencing really change how you view your work in school.

4.No debt, no problem

The first mistake I made in college was buying whatever I needed at whatever price it was because I didn’t know much about finding a better price. Needless to say my money supply ran short very quickly. So what I started to do was make a budget for myself and figure out where the cheapest places were to buy things I needed (food, books, everyday items, water) and it worked I cut down and saved more then a $100 a month!

It’s these little things that no one thinks about when entering college that you figure out a year or two after and realize how stupid you were to not do this stuff sooner. But for now it’s an amazingly exciting time ! I know your all going to love FIT.

XOXO

Kailee