The Last First Day

Most of you reading this probably haven’t even started college yet, so I’m sure you’re not thinking about the way it will end. Well one day, in the distant future, you too will have your last first day of school.

It is a weird sensation to know that this could very well be my last first day of school ever. That is, unless I go to grad school or take a night class. I’ve always had the strange desire to be that one old person who is in at least one of your classes each semester without fail.

^^ Me tho
^^ Me tho

I couldn’t sleep the night before. I’m not sure why, I mean I have done this first day of the semester thing seven times already – maybe it was because I stayed up until 4 am over the weekend? Nah, that couldn’t be why. Of course, waking up the next morning was hard and I ended up oversleeping a little which meant I had to rush. Great. The commuting time is earlier than it had been in the past few weeks for my job, so I forgot that the hundred or so elementary schools surrounding my apartment opened at the same time. This meant that the Dunkin’ near my house was full to the brim of yelling, confused and spatially unaware ten year-olds. No coffee for me then. Already late I rushed to the 6 train station only to find it was backed up. Even going to the very end of the platform didn’t help! Two trains later I got on, woo! Oh wait, just two stops and we’re delayed because someone got sick. About fifteen minutes of waiting. It was at this point that I realized I would not have time to wait on line for the new sticker for my ID. Every dang semester! Would I ever learn? Guess it’s too late now. I decided I would just have to do what I normally do, which is mumble something incoherent to the security guard about being late and run through too quickly for them to stop me. I could always come back after class. Five minutes late to film class. Damn, he already started. Luckily, the professor turned out to be really cool and the class was quite fun. Leaving class I have five texts and a missed call. The rest of the day was cancelled because of the impending blizzard. Tuesday too. This was the strangest last first day ever.

–Emily–