Notes From The 6 Train: Leadership Workshop!

I write this on the bus returning from Armank, New York, where the 40th annual FIT leadership workshop was held. I, along with about 35 other FIT student leaders, traveled to the woods to bond, get away from the city and eat good vegetarian food (well, at least that’s why I went), and of course to amp our leadership skills!

Exhibit A
Exhibit A

Honestly, this was the most I’ve ever talk to FIT students. Firstly, since we were the only people at the facility for 2 days we were forced to talk to each other fact. Additionally, I’m a commuter student so when I come on campus it’s do a job; attending class or a meeting, or studying. I find that other people experience this tunnel mind when they are on campus as well. Sometimes we need to be pulled out of comfort zone so that we are able to meet new people. That’s exactly what happened! I connected with a bunch of people that I never would have met otherwise.

Communal Gratiffi Board
Communal Gratiffi Board

Not only did I meet new people but I also learned a lot about myself. (Sounds very cliche, I know) but bear with me. I have had a number leadership trainings, so going on this retreat was a refresher of knowledge I’d acquired in the past. It also helped me see how much I’ve grown, and what I still need to work on. I also did get a break and enjoy some nature. It was beyond beautiful. I got to see the changing leaves and see some deer! Taking a break from the city is important to me, I know I need to be around nature to feel balanced.

This workshop is offered once in the fall ad again in the spring. It’s highly sought after, so whenever you see the posters around the school be sure to sign up immediately.

The attendees!
The attendees!

All things Color, Love, & Fashion,
Ayanna L.