Biking in the City

Hi there,

Well if you have been keeping up with this blog for a year now (really, have YOU?) you will be happy to know that I have upgraded from a push scooter (adult version of course lol) to a bicycle. Things to take into consideration before I took this big step was price, space and ease of use. Turns out that when your friend just says: “Here you go this bike is now yours” there is really nothing to consider. After saying yes, I suddenly realized (I just love free stuff, can’t help it) that I did not know how to bike in the city or how to use a bike that had the brakes on the pedals. It also came to my attention that I needed to refill the wheels and had no clue where to go. unnamed1

So after extensive research (Google ya know) I found out a sale at KMART and headed there to buy a pump and some lights that would help me stay alive at night. For what I think was the first time in my life I pumped wheels and discovered the difference between Schrader and Presta valves. Trying to get ready for the special day when I decided to venture out I oiled the chain and looked up apps to bike in the city. Turns out it is your choice to use bike lanes or not, depends on how adventurous you want to be. I honestly recommend for a first time biker STAY IN THE LANES and please if you love yourself just wear a helmet (even if your head looks like an egg)!unnamed2

Other than that I use Google Maps to tell me how to get to places, the time it will take me and how steep the terrain is. For tracking my ride (distance, calories, speed and +) without having to connect it to Facebook and be annoying and share my progress to all my friends (but I will with you haha that is how much I<3u) I use Exclo.   unnamed

Biking in the city has enabled me to:

• see parts of the city that I never knew existed
  • find time to workout everyday
  • appreciate air so much more
  • get rid of my monthly metro card
  • look amazingly cool while riding

In case anyone is up for the challenge I definitely suggest you do it. If your not a long term commitment person just use Citi Bikes (they are all over now) which conveniently for us has a station right in front of FIT. If you feel you can handle it just go for it and make yourself healthier (workin up them iron thighs) while making the world a greener place.

unnamed

Carpe Diem,

Sadie