Notes From The 6 Train: Thanking Nelson Mandela

unnamed (Look, we’re famous!)

This past week FIT I also went to the Nelson Mandela commemoration/ celebration of life. Hosted by the Diversity Council and the FIT Gospel Choir, it was one of the elegant events I’ve been to at FIT. I walked into a room was filled with multicolored lights around the ceiling, and the calling of African drums. I used to take west African dance classes, so the drums were a sound I didn’t even know I missed until I heard it again. I enjoyed seeing the Gospel Choir perform, as it was my first time, they even had a dancers to go along with the performances.This was was my first time seeing the Gospel Choir perform and being from the south, seeing gospel live affects me. I was never into church, but I can always appreciate a he artful gospel song. They also spoke about Mandela’s extraordinary life and accomplishments. If you don’t know who Nelson Mandela is, he was the man responsible for tearing down apartheid in South Africa ( a system very much like segregation in the United States), spent almost thirty years imprisoned because he was the forefront of the anti-apartheid movement. After his release, however, he was voted to become South Africa’s president.

They also welcomed us into his life by more than just words. Through food, art and by spreading his words, people were taught about the life of Nelson Mandela. At each table there was traditional food from South Africa. An FIT alumni made these huge prints of Mandela that was signed by all who attended the event was sent to the Nelson Mandela family, and his foundation to show our appreciation and support of everything he did.

IMG_1708 ( Look at the goodies I left with!)

At the end they raffled off books. I actually won one! Hooray. When I left, I left with a heart full of gratitude, a stomach full of South African memories and a book to continue my learning.The Diversity Council and the Gospel Choir put on a great event. I would definetly go another event they host.

All things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.