Notes From The 6 Train: My First Fashion Week

This past weekend was jam packed with interesting experiences this weekend. I attended the Mother Tongue Monologues at the Brooklyn Museum. I also volunteered at a fashion show at Fashion Week. Honestly, I was pleasantly superseded at how nice the experience was. I helped backstage at the David Tlale (an up & coming South African designer) show it was pretty fun, and most exciting of all, they were no bad attitudes! Everyone was so friendly and courteous. I have worked at several other shows and none have been as pleasant as this one. Firstly, the clothes were easy to put on & remove. a mundane detail, but when undressing & re-dressing models in 2.5 seconds you thanks the fashion gods that there are no sharp edges, corsets or birdcage hats. (Remember the Alexander McQueen hats at Paris fashion week a few years back? Yikes.) You don’t want to be the girl who put the shirt on backwards on the model (though I’ve heard this happened in another show & critics loved that particular outfit).

cdn.mg.co

From the interns to the fashion show directors, everyone seemed happy to be there. I’ve dealt with some models who are less than courteous. These models, however, were particularly kind. One of the girls I dressed just wanted to take selfies backstage before the show started. She was certainly my favorite model. ( Below is a photo of us.) There were also some models from television, one girl from America’s Next Top Model & Devyn, the winner of The Face.

unnamed

For my first New York Fashion Week, I had a pretty good experience. I made some connections, and learned to cut back on the judgments. Fashion is not just backstabbing one another with six inch stilettos. Real connections can be made, at fittings and shows and backstage. If we are in the fashion world that means we share at at one thing in common, our love of fashion. Certainly, this is not a call for us all to rally together and hold hands around a fire of last season’s fashion mistakes, but simply a small reminder. It is very possible to make friends, (or at least not make enemies,) and when working in such a competitive industry, having allies is appealing. If the option is presented, you should definitely volunteer at Fashion Week at least once.

All things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.

One reply on “Notes From The 6 Train: My First Fashion Week”