The beautiful thing about being a first year student is that you get to live right across the street from all of the buildings. Doesn’t sound that appealing? If you live on 27th street, you get to wake up 10 minutes before class and you have all of the FIT resources within walking distance (Which seems like a very long distance right now because it’s freezing outside…). If you plan on living in Nagler Hall on 27th St, the following are the much needed supplies to conquer the dorm life:
- Community Bathrooms = Towel/Robe to walk back to your room
- A fan! Unfortunately you cannot have a window fan, but I highly, highly recommend getting a fan to conquer the fluctuating temperature in your dorm room. My fan is currently on full blast and it’s 32 degrees outside. If you have the side by the window, prepare for hot and cold…i.e. the window chill and the heater.
- Microwavable food for those days where you aren’t feeling the dining hall or a midnight dinner. You can’t have a microwave, fridge, toaster, or hot plate in your dorm, but you have access to a microwave in the first floor lounge and a fridge in your floors laundry room.
- A big laundry bag. This applies to all dorms, but there are going to be some weeks where you just don’t want to do your laundry and it piles up quickly. In order to keep your room free of clothes all over the floor and easy accessibility when taking your laundry from your room to the laundry room…get a laundry bag.
- Various types of shoes. You need your shower shoes, your “I’m going to go down to the lounge” shoes, the “I’m going to go get frozen yogurt from Yogurtland and I’m wearing pajamas and I hope I don’t see anyone that I know” shoes. In some cases, the shoes can be interchangeable but it’s better to be safe than sorry. :)