Notes From The 6 Train: On Textbooking

stack-of-books

The hunt for moderately priced textbooks is so difficult that it could even be considered a sport! Alas, “textbooking.” The beginning of the semester is usually the most difficult, getting back into the swing of things can be challenging, the cost of books should not add more unnecessary stress. As we all know, textbooks are astronomically expensive. So much I almost feel like that powers at be don’t actually want us to buy them. Which is why I don’t, (at least not usually.) When the cost of books for one semester are equivalent to a car payment (or several depending on your major) how could anyone honestly expect me to ? Here’s my chest sheet to getting the most bang for your book.

1. Wait till the first day of classes I know everyone wants to feel prepared on the first day of class, but wait! I promise waiting until class has met at least once will you decide if you actually need to purchase the book. Often, teachers don’t actually require students to have ALL books. Occasionally, a teachers will openly say that students don’t need to purchase any of the “required books,” but have to list it on the syllabus due to departmental rules. ( This is real insider information, you guys better know I love you.)

2. Ask friends/ friends of friends FIT is a specialized school and because we all basically take the same intro classes, there are always books floating around. Two friends lent me their old books last semester. ( I also have really good friends I guess).

3. Used books online This one is a no brainer.

4. Utilize Facebook or other social network websites After students are finished with classes they just want to get the books of their hands. Also, I think because know the textbook struggle, they are a little more compassionate, usually sell for cheaper and are willing to negotiate in pricing .It’s not uncommon for books to be listed on a social network website for much cheaper than the bookstore and without the wait time for books in the mail.

5. Download books If you don’t mind reading on screen, or printing important pages, then look for on-line versions. I;m not a fan of reading books on technology, however I had one textbook online last semester for my online class and the experience was magical. The textbook was only $19.99 and came with additional study materials at no extra cost. Also, if there was a quiz question or a concept in particular I needed to hone in on, it was easy to do so. There was a search bar that would scan the entire document, highlight the term and list all the page numbers, it was so convenient. Plus, I also have access to the book if I should ever need to reference it again. The website I used was boundless.com

6. Library (public library) Go old school! This semester there were several I need that were over $100 a piece. I refuse to pay those exhorently high prices so I have been using the resources already provided for me. The FIT library has many of the textbooks used in class. I can only check them out for two hours, while remaining at the FIT library. I have to dedicate a little more time, but personally I think it’s worth it. Alternatively, you can see if the New York Public Library has some of the books. New York has a great public library, take advantage of it. This semester I was able to find a book at the NYPL and will be able to continuously renew it this semester.

All things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.

3 replies on “Notes From The 6 Train: On Textbooking”

1. Thank you very much for publishing this kind of article. I like your article very much. I want share my website details to you please give me some information to increase performance like your website.