Am I in Heaven?

Today I went on a chocolate tour of New York City. I know, I am in heaven.

My friend Olivia’s dad got her tickets to this chocolate extravaganza for her birthday and she invited me to go with her because she is the best. Also, it was a perfect way to celebrate the end of the semester! Olivia and I actually met in one of our orientation meetings the first week of freshman year and three years later we’re still super close, so yeah, don’t skip those orientation things because that actually happens.

Anyway, this chocolate tour was AMAZING. Olivia and I actually lived together for a semester and it is safe to say that I made a giant batch of fudge about every other week, so chocolate is an integral part of our relationship. If you’re interested in taking the tour you can do so here, or if you want to recreate the walk on your own time I’ll tell you about all the amazing places we went:

1. Li-Lac Chocolates – An adorable shop on Jane and 8th. They have been supplying the West Village with chocolate since 1923 and are one of the only companies to still hand dip their chocolate. After tasting their dark chocolate and almond toffee I couldn’t resist buying some oftheirfudge. I haven’t tried it yet because I’m saving to share it with my family over break, but I’m sure it’s going to be amazing

2. Chocolate bar – 8th Ave between Jane and West 12th – Get the hot chocolate. Just do it. Although I love me some Sarabeth’s hot chocolate mix for when I’m at home, Chocolate bar’s “liquid chocolate” hot chocolate was so creamy and delicious. PLUS you can get different flavors like spicy pepper, mint, caramel, etc.

3. Magnolia Bakery – Magnolia Bakery is a must for anyone. There are many different locations that are relatively easy to get to, but no matter where you go, be prepared for a line. Magnolia is famous among New Yorkers and Tourists alike, but for good reason. Their airy cupcakes topped with sweet butter cream are to die for, and the banana cream pudding is known to be a show stopper.

4. Milk & Cookies Bakery – Commerce St. between 7th Ave South and Bedford St – we tried the double chocolate chip cookies which were so delicious, but this small bakery is more known for its bacon cookie. Yes you heard right, bacon cookie. Do you want your breakfast inside your dessert? You’ve found the right place

5. Bisous Ciao – This tiny shop on Stanton between Ludlow and Orchard specializes in the French favorite, macaroons. Personally, I prefer macaroons made in Paris with the traditional flavors, but if any New Yorker is in a pinch they can head down to Stanton. Another perk, the gelato king Laboratorio del Gelato is only a couple doors down

6. Xocolatti – Corner of Prince and Thompson streets – They specialize in the kind of chocolate you don’t want to eat because it just looks so pretty in the box, but do it. Just do it.

7. Pasticceria Bruno – LaGuardia Place between Bleeker and West Housten – the best cannoli in New York. That’s what they say anyway. Unfortunately for me, I do not like cannolis, they’re just too sweet for me. However, anyone who does like cannolis should head over here because this title is not just something they made up; Bobby Flay lost his throw down to these guys!

–Emily–