Have Yourself a Bizarre Holiday

It’s not everyday that your college lobby is transformed into a boutique, full of new and gently-worn designer womenswear including clothing, shoes and accessories. Then again, there’s no college like FIT! The grand opening of the Holiday Bizarre Pop-up Shop was today, Tuesday November 19th and is scheduled to run through Saturday November 23rd in the Pomerantz lobby,  everyday from 11 am – 8 pm and is open to the public. This year the Holiday Bazaar teamed up with The Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thrift Shop who provided all of the merchandise. All sales benefit the thrift shop, which supports patient care, education, and research programs at the Cancer Center.

‘Tis the season for holiday shopping (YAY!) and with that comes some of New York’s best pop-up shops. However, this is no ordinary pop-up. FIT is hosting a Surrealist-themed holiday shop designed, installed, and merchandised by students in the Visual Presentation and Exhibit Design program! I must say I was amazed at how the D building lobby was transformed. The students who were involved in designing and building the pop up shop did a fantastic job. I felt as if I was walking into a Rene Magritte painting filled with Catherine Malandrino gowns, Alexander Wang boots and Rag & Bone jeans – it was like a dream!

Unfortunately, all of the merchandise being sold is for women so I wasn’t able to find anything particularly for me. However if you’re looking for that special something to give to your girlfriend, mother or sister this holiday, the FIT Holiday Bizarre Pop Up Shop is the place to go! Womenswear, shoes, bags, and jewelry are displayed in the cozy shop with prices ranging from $40 to $300.

I don’t know about you, but anything with the word “holiday” in front of it and you’ve got my attention! Now begins my absolute favorite time of the year. If you happen to be on campus, it is definitely worth your time to check out the pop-up shop! Not only is the shop for a great cause, but it’s so awesome to see the spectacular talent and artistry that is present in this institution. Look at it this way, class goes by a lot faster when you can go shopping in the lobby right after 😉

xx, Brendan