When I Need to “Think…”

In a perfect world, I get all my homework done the day it is assigned. I come home from my 3 hour class, not at all mentally or physically drained from the lecture. In a perfect world, I repress the desire to jump into my perfect bed and watch hours of Breaking Bad and eat waaay too many pretzels. Instead, in this wonderful, magical, flawless world I take out my notebook and textbook and get down to business; writing paper after paper, reading and absorbing hundreds of pages of the textbook. “I’m such a wonderful student, la di da di da di da” I sing beautifully as the neighborhood bluebirds, bunny rabbits and baby deer shyly peek out from the bushes and begin to gather round. They allow me to pet and serenade them, like all the Disney Princesses that came before me…

WAIT A MINUTE! Unfortunately, we live in a very imperfect world, where scenarios like this one almost never happen. Well, I am a pretty good student but that whole part about hours of Breaking Bad and pretzel binging…yeah, that happens a little more often than I’d like to admit.

Here’s my problem – sometimes when I’m trying to get work done in my dorm room, I find it very hard to remain concentrated and not get distracted by the calls coming from my bed. “Lay with me Brendan, take a little break! You know you want to,” she says in that demure, irresistible voice of hers.

While ignoring my bed’s attempts at distracting me, I remind myself that I live in New York City! There are thousands of places I could go to get some work done. No one has chained me to my chair and desk, for God’s sake! Did someone say coffee shop?

So I did some research and came across Think Coffee. I “think” I really love it, hehe. They have multiple locations across the island, but I’ve found that I really enjoy the one located on 8th avenue between 13th and 14th street. (It’s also the closest location to where I live) This location is very spacious, including a whole back room with plush leather booths and wooden tables with benches, allowing for multiple people to sit together.

The chocolate brown leather booths and wooden tables are accented nicely by the wooden, steel and glass detailing of the walls. The warm glow coming from the scances provide enough light to get work done while making you feel comfortable and cozy (which is perfect since it’s getting colder outside.)

Did I mention the coffee is great AND they have free wifi?! I’m actually sitting in Think as I write this blog and tonight I decided to order an Iced Chai, a staple drink I can never go wrong with. I’ve yet to try any of their food but they have different types of gourmet grilled cheese…that’s all I have to say.

I’ve found that being in a coffee shop, surrounded by fellow New Yorker’s who are either chatting with a friend, reading the newspaper, or getting work done themselves, motivates me to get my work done. There’s something about the vibe and energy that a coffee shop (especially Think) emits. I’m completely relaxed and focused with a good drink, good music while getting things done – what more could I ask for?

I “think” you would love Think Coffee! Do you have a favorite coffee shop in New York? Do you find getting out of your dorm helps you get work done? Comment below and let me know!

xx, Brendan

2 replies on “When I Need to “Think…””

1. OMG I LOVE THINK!!
    They serve the ultimate chai latte and the giant mug they serve the scorching beaut in is a cherry on top of the perfect study sesh. Some good company and delicious coffee, what more could one ask for?!!