Notes From the 6 Train: Revolving Closet Theory

I’ve developed a theory why so many people who reside in New York are fashionable. I’ve named it the revolving closet theory. Essentially, due to the average NY rent ( which is astronomically high if you don’t know) most people (esp, students without consist income) can only afforded a barely live able studio a place that they’re sharing with five other people, or their significant other, which sounds nice initially, but we all know how unpredictable relationships can be. Of course, there are exceptions and people whom the universe smiles favorably upon in the housing department. Some are able to find a good deal or have family they can live with. Either way, I’ve found that many New Yorkers don’t believe in clutter, and that applies to their wardrobe as well. With a nearly non existent amount of closet space, whatever is housed there has to count.

Back home, I worked consignment and thrift shop where I was often given free garments by my boss. I was pretty lucky, but as a result, I acquired an obscene amount of clothing. Since I’ve been in NY, I’ve slimmed my closet down enormously. No holding onto old stuff, hiding hopes in your heart that said item will come back into style. The revolving closet theory has made me only keep stuff that I absolutely love, not holding onto random junk I may wear “one day.”
I’ve created a list to help get rid of unnecessary clothing junk:
Get creative!

Sell clothes online or at places like Buffalo Exchange. Buffalo Exchange is a thrift store where you can trade your old clothing for cash or store credit. This place has been my savior since I literally have no winter clothes since I’m from Atlanta, where  snow is but an urban legend. I’ve been able to sell my old stuff, and pick up new clothing for the season AND for all you hoarders, if you are strapped for cash you can opt to take the money as opposed to the store credit. 

Become a little more discipline with your wardrobe.  A while ago, I decided that whenever I would get a new garment, I would get rid of an old one. It’s a challenge, but it always keeps my closet fresh.

Have clothing swaps with your friends! Sharing is caring. Plus, it can be a fun activity to do with friends when it’s too cold to even think about going outside.

In fact, my best friend and I swap clothing from coast to coast. She lives in LA & will send me stuff she no longer wants and I will send her some stuff. Everybody loves getting mail, especially, free clothes. And it’s nice to get mail in a time where physical mail is an anomaly. 

And of course the staple ways to get rid of old stuff; either cut it up and make some new stuff or donate it to the Goodwill or other thrift stores in NY with a good cause. There are several philanthropic thrift stores in the city, like Cause for Paws ( all proceeds go to animal rescue objective), City Opera Thrift ( all proceeds support the creation and design of costumes for new productions at New York City Opera), as well as several other cause oriented thrift stores sprinkled throughout the city. There are also an innumerable homeless shelters or domestic abuse shelters who are always glad to receive nice quality clothing.
Basically, if you’re moving to NYC get ready to be affected by the revolving closet theory. Now if only I could clean out entire other closet I left down in Atlanta.

All Things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.