So as you all may know, I’m a photography major. Usually when I tell people this, they tend to have zero clue that there is even a photography major offered at FIT. Being an art major implies a lot of things. You are generally creative, inspired, and well…busy. Being so immensely busy, the following are my photo major tips for survival:
- Get your assignments done early – don’t procrastinate. Easier said than done. Tumblr does get in the way. But dodge David Karp and get your work done!
- Form a good relationship with your professors. They are there to help you and see you grow as an artist.
- Always carry snacks and beverages. Sometimes there is not enough time to run out and get something to eat from 7th ave or from the dining hall, so be prepared! (Being prepared includes gum, floss, and hand sanitizer. Gotta keep things fresh!)
- Always keep a notebook on you so that you can sporadically jot down your latest and greatest idea.
- Be nice to everyone and help everyone out. You may not always know what you’re doing, and the same can be said about your classmates. Yes, the competition can be fierce, but everyone is still doing their own thing. It’s best to have support in the art and fashion world.
- Have fun! More than likely, if you are a photography major, you enjoy and thrive off of making art. Make vague and simple assignments into something extraordinary and in to something you are proud of and put in your portfolio.